Friday, May 18, 2007

The wifi situation at the library-- isn't. I'm on a guest user card on the computer row, Lady Macbook languishing in my back pack. So I'm not sure if I'll be able to post the pictures I've been taking, although I'll give it a shot from the 'rents' computer tonight.

Spring is sprung! Today the sky is that surreal cerulean bowl I remember so well from lying on my back in the strawberry field growing up. Overnight everything was tipped with green-- the rosehip bush is unfurling pretty little shoots and the rhubarb is twice as tall as yesterday. I got a few phone calls this morning. Lola Vogel, the little old neighbor lady extraordinaire who kept such a watchful eye on us kids when the parents were out of town, said she'd almost called the police last night after seeing lights in the window. I was chastened; should have thought to call her first thing! And Suzie called to say she was thawing out a duck and would we like to come over for dinner tomorrow? Suzie's duck is the best duck ever; I spoke for my parents and said yes with bells on.

Ran into loads of people in the library and got a few job tips-- I'm on my way over after posting this to Sea Otter Woodworks to see what exactly they're hiring for. I intended to ask at Mountain Market but I have to say it's kind of a last resort-- love it as a customer but I think perhaps the nonstop social aspect of it might be a little jarring. Being here makes me miss the relative anonymity of the city, as much as I missed the familiarity of Haines down there.

I'm a little let down about the internet situation-- what good is my fancy lappy if I can't use half the features? I did make a song on garageband this morning-- sitting in the old green rug room with Sparkle purring on my lap, banging away at some of mom's many percussion instruments (and a violin and the little thumb plucky-thing). The spring air is bracing; it summons creativity from the depths and beats back procrastination. That's Alaska.

3 comments:

Lenora Bell said...

Maybe there is wifi somewhere in Haines. Duck with Suzi and Ron sounds heavenly. Good luck on the job search.

Huar said...

Cat Lady is also better than Third Grader Who Reads Shakespeare, don't you think?

SS: You want to go meet a third grader who reads Shakespeare?

RS: Uh . . . no?

SS: Come on.

RS: Yeah, whatever, Mom . . .

Unknown said...

Good luck with the internets. Tricky business up there in the mountains, I am sure. How do they even get the internets to Haines?
God bless the internets.