Thursday, June 7, 2007

I'm writing this from the school, which is not the school anymore. Classrooms are all boxed up and ready to move into the new school at the end of summer. I've been wandering around the halls taking pictures. Somebody should, I feel. I would especially like to preserve for posterity the heinous student-drawn murals from the 1970's that terrified me so back in the day. I should put them all on flickr to avoid bogging down the blog, but here's a taste:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Please note the mermaid's Farah flip and hot little halter number. Let's not talk about the giant oyster.

I'm in the library at the moment, sitting on a couch in the middle of the room with the ghosts of all the books that were my best friends in adolescence. I have no idea what will happen to the school; it's for sale, but who would buy a block of boxy, weathered old building and a playground with a fault line running through it? Some sort of cult, I imagine.

I just did two consecutive country shows and am finally feeling functional on air. Getting great feedback from listeners-- surprising, because I'm just stabbing wildly in the dark at this beast called country. I get a fair amount of during-show calls, including one from a guy listening on a fishing boat outside of Glacier Bay, which is gratifying but makes queuing up songs and promos harder. Today I discovered Dale Watson, and there's really no turning back now. What a fine, handsome baritone on that man! And I found Roger Miller's "Dang Me" on vinyl and giggled for the duration. Fun.

Things have been busy here. Lots of hiking and walking-- we went up to Paul Swift's cabin at 13 mile with the Scowling Bagels (that is a shout out to you, Huar!) which is a short-ish vertical ascent over the Chilkat River covered in wild calypso orchids.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The cabin is the very definition of rustic.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And, although we were born at around the same time, in the same town, the cabin is much more Alaskan than I ever was or will ever be.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We raced back down to catch the brewery before it closed, and had a sampler of various stouts and ales leaning against the beautiful wooden railing of the brewery bar before retiring to the Scowling house for cold ginger chicken and lots and lots of Kettle chips, which is apparently the staple food of all Haines households these days.

On Sunday we drove out Lutak, which is the shortest of the three directions you can drive out of town, past the ferry terminal and along the Lutak Inlet to Chilkoot Lake.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

There were still banks of snow out at the lake, which is unheard of in June, and the air had a still, potent bite to it. We listened to the Mamas and the Papas and all sang along very loudly. Dad is going to go fishing for trout in the lake soon, which he is now old enough to do without a license from the city! Congratulations, Dwight.

On the way back we saw a juvenile eagle feasting on a dead moose carcass on the beach. I took pictures.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Similarly grotesque, here's one last school mural shot. This one is from the library; I used to stare in fascination at it all afternoon. You might think her massive, log-like legs were a trick of camera perspective but I am telling you: they are just as hulking and out of proportion in the powder blue flesh. I've always considered her an affront to people, to paint and to libraries. Yet-- I want to have her always, so I had to take this picture.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

5 comments:

Huar said...

Is the aquatic mural from the junior high stairwell? I don't seem ever to have noticed the library one at all, thank goodness.

Trichomaniac! said...

yes, the mermaid is from the stairwell! ugh. but I do like that they let the students paint it-- I can't see them doing that now.

we're supposed to have my birthday cook-out with your parents at Chilkat State today but it's raining. are you coming up this summer or what?

Lenora Bell said...

I remember those murals so well. Especially the ones from the library. Thanks for that. How strange to be in the empty school, wandering with the ghosts. You should write more about it. I love that cabin. Et and I spent a lovely night up there swatting away blood sucking fiends, and praying that the fresh droppings we saw did not foretell the imminent arrival of a hungry brown bear.

Huar said...

I heard something about halibut and nettle soup, which sounds almost as unsavory as that mermaid.

I'm hoping I'll be able to arrange an extended Haines visit sometime towards fall--all depends. My life is quite predictable for the next month, moderately predictable through the end of July (speaking of which, elusive Ms. Bell, are you going to be in Portland at end of July? I might try to cadge housing on two successive Saturday nights), and hardly predictable at all after that.

Huar said...

Oh, and happy birthday!