Thursday, July 5, 2007

kids these days

Sneaking in the back door of my blog here, side-stepping the huge piles of things to write about and pictures to post, just to whisper a little aside in the present tense and duck back out...

My job with the youth conservatory starts today, and I've only just received script and syllabus from Director Dan. Sara and I had forgotten how he works: chaos is his medium. His is a fun combination of insanity and blind confidence-- he assumes, per his message yesterday, that I will be able to walk casually into the Chilkat Center this afternoon and whip twenty-eight kids up into an organized froth of creative energies and actorly ability and act as stage manager and Girl Friday with no direction from him at all. Have I worked with kids in the last twelve years? Have I done any theatre work at all in that time? Do I remember any acting exercises? Have I ever managed a stage before in my life?

No to all, of course.

Thank god for google.

1 comment:

Huar said...

Hee hee hee. I remember when he thought if he just sent me to the library for 45 minutes every day, I'd emerge at the end of the year with a novel.

Well, I didn't.

But you are made of sterner stuff, I'm sure . . .